Courtyard 7

Quadrangle is an important unit of Beijing’s traditional construction. As a typical quadrangle, Courtyard 7 consists of three rows of courtyards, which occupies an area of 1800 square meters. Restoration plan had the approval of the Beijing Bureau of Cultural Relics. The restoration project took more than three years’ time and lots of energy, human, material and financial resources were put into it. Some traditional technologies were used to restore the courtyard to the historical original condition.

In late Qing dynasty, the Empress Dowager Cixi bestowed this courtyard on one of her senior minister, who was of the fourth rank. During the period of the Republic of China, the Huizhou merchant Mr Wu Zhaoxiang, who was on a par with the founder of Wuyutai tea shop Mr Wu Xiqing, bought this courtyard. Later, Wu sold this courtyard to the adjutant-general of the Northeast Army Mr Song Shoushan. The courtyard once became the stronghold for Mr Zhang Zuolin and Mr Zhang Zuoxiang in Beijing. After liberation, a senior Minister of the people’s Republic of China lived here.

On June 28th 2008, after more than three years renovation, the courtyard was open as a hotel.